From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Computers and mental/emotional health
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:27:10
1 >> Over the years I've found that the time I spend on the computer has a
2 >> negative affect on my mental/emotional health.  It seems to suck the
3 >> life out of life and impair my ability to function in the real world.
4 >> I've tried various things to counteract the problem, but the only
5 >> thing that really works is not getting on the computer, and that works
6 >> really well.  I think part of the problem is caused by my processing
7 >> information, but I think part is due to radiation/glare from the
8 >> laptop screen.  Has anyone dealt with this successfully?  I'd love to
9 >> know how you did it.
10 >>
11 >> - Grant
12 >
13 > I'm very late to this thread so I'll only offer one thing I don't
14 > think showed up elsewhere. My dog. Spending 5 minutes every hour
15 > laying on the floor with a Yellow Lab getting licked in the face
16 > always makes me feel better. I work at home so this is practical for
17 > me. Might not work for others.
18 >
19 > - Mark
20
21 This pretty much did it for me. Mick mentioned taking breaks too and
22 maybe others. I installed xfce4-time-out-plugin and left it on the
23 default settings of a 5 minute break every 30 minutes and I do believe
24 that's what I was missing. I never really took breaks before. Thanks
25 to all.
26
27 - Grant