From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Major problem with Xorg 7+
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:51:24
1 On Wednesday 20 September 2006 12:25, Chris Walters wrote:
2 > It works with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r8, which is now hard masked. Under
3 > xorg-x11-7.0-r1 it will not work, no matter what I've tried. I tried
4 > the proprietary ATI driver, the Radeon driver and even the VESA driver.
5 > The proprietary driver will not load during the boot process, and with
6 > the other drivers, even when I tell it what modes to use, I get an error
7 > that says there's not enough memory for the selected mode. The final
8 > error goes something like, "Screens found but none have a usable
9 > configuration." I have tried the Xorg configuration utilities, but they
10 > haven't produced any better results.
11
12 Chris,
13 Have you tried putting 'VideoRam 131072' in your xorg.conf under
14 Section "Device"? The error saying there's not enough memory makes me think
15 it fails to detect the correct amount of it. You can look
16 at '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' to see if this is true.
17
18 Regards,
19 Jure