From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:11:27
1 On 2022-11-21, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I did re-emerge the nvidia drivers for the old kernel. [...]
4 >
5 > If I get bored, and it warms up a little, I may build a 5.19 kernel.
6 > Thing is, by the time I get around to rebooting, nvidia may have updated
7 > and the new one I already got will work.  :/
8
9 About 15 years ago, after a bad experience with ATI dropping Linux
10 driver support for a card that was only a year old (and no luck
11 getting the open source driver to work reliably), I switched to NVidia
12 (mostly Qaudro cards -- fanless until that ceased to be an
13 option). They always worked great using the NVidia blob drivers, but
14 using NVidia drivers was a constant source of minor pain. Often kernel
15 updates had to be postponed until NVidia driver support caught up, and
16 they too dropped support and forced me to replace a board that was
17 still working perfectly.
18
19 Eventually, I just gave up and started using built-in Intel
20 graphics. Life was much easier. A high-end gamer probably wouldn't be
21 happy, but my mid-range mainboard happily drove three decent-sized
22 displays (two DVI and one DP) at their native resolutions. I find the
23 same to be true on my newer AMD system with built-in Radeon Vega
24 graphics. It too "just works" with the in-kernel-tree support and
25 open-source Xorg drivers.
26
27 I did have to give up the option of having multiple X11 screens. The
28 proprietary NVidia driver supported multiple screens, but the drivers
29 for built-in Intel and Radeon drivers don't seem to.
32 Grant