From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: ssh/scp on XP and gentoo
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:53:19
1 On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:00:51 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'd be curious what folks on this list recommend, or any other
5 > software for such interoperability between gentoo and XP/vista
6 > systems.
7
8 I, too, highly recommend PuTTY. It has lots of nice options, and needs
9 no installation, but rather will happily run straight from download.
10 It's tiny and fast, and supports telnet, rsh, and some others, as well
11 as SSH. The putty people also put out a SCP client, but I didn't much
12 like it; working from the command line in windows is just so painful.
13
14 I recommend against FTP becuase I find it too inflexible for my needs.
15 I find the ability to put a file anywhere on the system, and for any
16 user, without requiring a complete login session, much better.
17
18 Finally, if you wish to use Samba you should be able to do so over
19 vpn. I have used Samba-over-VPN with much success, and strongly
20 recommend openVPN for this task. It doesn't make file transferring any
21 different, it just puts all the computers on the same network -- making
22 it that much easier to run these services securely, since they don't
23 have to listen on external ports.
24
25 -- Dan Farrell
26
27 PS: I bet there's some windoze-side support for rsync these days too.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list