From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to build kernel with old binutils?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 16:00:47
1 I regularly need to build old Linux kernels (as far back as 2.6), and
2 have a variety of older versions of gcc installed and a shell script
3 that knows what versions of gcc to use for what kernel versions. Using
4 an old version of GCC is simple: you just specify it on the command
5 line when doing the make:
6
7 $ cd linux-3.whatever
8 $ make distclean
9 $ make defconfig
10 $ make GCC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3.6 modules
11
12 After some recent updates, I now get an 'ld' failure on some old
13 kernel buils. From what I've read it seems that I now need to also use
14 older binutils versions, and that's got me stumped. I've tried adding
15 LD=/path/to/ld to the make, but that appears to be ignored.
16
17 Can somebody give a clue how to specify the binutils to be used when
18 building a Linux kernel?
19
20 Thanks...
23 Grant