From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is CONFIG_MICROCODE gone in kernel 4.4.6-gentoo?
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 09:25:36
1 On Saturday 30 Apr 2016 09:29:08 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 09:07:29 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > I seem to have mislaid my microcode somewhere, in the latest stable
4 > > gentoo kernel:
5 > >
6 > > # grep -i MICROCODE .config
7 > > #
8 >
9 > Grepping .config is unreliable, and always has been. You should use the
10 > search option in make menuconfig. If th eoption you want does not show up
11 > in .config, you are probably missing one of the options it depends on.
12
13 Thanks Neil, I use both, especially if grepping does not reveal what I am
14 looking for.
15
16 > The search results show what they are and whether they are set. I get this
17 >
18 > Symbol: MICROCODE [=y]
19 > Type : boolean
20 > Prompt: CPU microcode loading support
21 > Location:
22 > (1) -> Processor type and features
23 > Defined at arch/x86/Kconfig:1159
24 > Depends on: CPU_SUP_AMD [=y] || CPU_SUP_INTEL [=y]
25 > Selects: FW_LOADER [=y]
26
27 Yes, I got (almost) the same and it shows that MICROCODE is a top level
28 module, but I can't see it when I walk through the 'Processor type and
29 features' contents. Fine, my eyesight is not what it used to be, but it can't
30 be this bad! :p
31
32 Symbol: MICROCODE [=n]
33 Type : boolean
34 Prompt: CPU microcode loading support
35 Location:
36 (1) -> Processor type and features
37 Defined at arch/x86/Kconfig:1125
38 Depends on: (CPU_SUP_AMD [=y] || CPU_SUP_INTEL [=y]) && BLK_DEV_INITRD
39 Selects: FW_LOADER [=y]
40
41 I built this 4.4.6 kernel with oldconfig, so it *should* retain previously
42 selected modules, like MICROCODE. Either way, why would it not show in
43 menuconfig, if a search says it is?
46 Regards,
47 Mick