From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:09:53
1 On Saturday 04 February 2006 11:37, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Daniel D Jones schreef:
3 > > I'm aware that Deer Park IS Firefox but my understanding was that Deer
4 > > Park was a nightly release build and not the official 1.5 release. I
5 > > thought it was the equivalent of grabbing the most recent source (at the
6 > > time the package was created) from CVS rather than getting the official
7 > > release source. Am I confused?
8 >
9 > Yes, you are. Have a look at the ebuild:
10 > # $Header:
11 > /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r11.
12 >ebuild,v 1.1 2006/02/01 22:13:20 anarchy Exp $
13 ...
14 > As you see, the source tarball is being downloaded from the releases
15 > folder of Mozilla.org's ftp, not any CVS or nightly build folder.
16 >
17 > Ebuilds from development trees such as CVS or "nightlies" are clearly so
18 > marked in their title, if they exist.
19 >
20 > For example, I use an ebuild for Krusader (provided by on the Homepage)
21 > which builds from the project's CVS tree, and it is rightfully called
22 > "krusader-cvs" rather than the normal "krusader" ebuild provided by
23 > Portage.
24
25 Thanks for the info and for clearing up my confusion.
26
27 > If an ebuild doesn't say it's compiling from CVS, it isn't. And of
28 > course, you can always just open it in a text editor and /look/...
29
30 I'm still learning how Portage works. I wasn't aware that ebuilds were that
31 straightforward.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list