From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:15:01
1 > > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
2 > > password. I remember the password to my user account and I can log in
3 > > there fine. Can I recover the root password?
4 >
5 > On the grub menu, edit the entry of the system you want to boot and on the
6 > kernel line, add "init=/bin/bash" without the quotes. Boot that modded boot
7 > instructions sequence. After kernel loads, you'll have a bash. Type: "mount
8 > -o rw,remount /"
9 > Then type "passwd", put the new root pwd. Remount the partition read-only:
10 > "mount -o ro,remount /" and reboot. Done!
11
12 Done deal, thanks everyone.
13
14 - Grant