From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:35:33
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On 21/05/2012 2:48 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 20/05/12 12:41, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Just for sake of correctness, what the op wants is called normalization,
7 >>> in the world of sound edition.
10 >> Actually, no. That's not what he wants. Normalization simply adjusts to
11 >> 0db. How loud something sounds however is not a simple matter of what
12 >> the maximum peak of a waveform is. ReplayGain actually analyzes the
13 >> music to tell how loud it *sounds*, not how loud it actually is.
14 >>
15 >> For example, you can have audio that was normalized (0db) but doesn't
16 >> sound as loud as, say, -5db audio, but which has compressed dynamic range.
17 >>
18 >> Normalization makes audio equally loud for hardware. ReplayGain makes
19 >> audio equally loud for humans. :-)
23 >        Aarrrggghhh, I'm getting confused. More background on my original
24 > question. I work in a liquor store and the manager insists on playing the
25 > usual crappy FM radio station, "MORE HITS WHEN YOU WANT THEM AND WE HAVE THE
26 > BEST VARIETY......blah blah blah". I'm going crazy so I've loaded up a
27 > memory stick with music from my media machine and using a small Android
28 > tablet, play the music through the sound system instead of the radio. As you
29 > can guess this is not audiophile central, a cheap, quite old "3 in 1" sound
30 > system, one speaker one end of the shop, another in the middle of the shop.
31 >
32 >        I can't do the turn up/turn down thingy as I might set the level when
33 > I start, and it may happen to be a quiet song. I then head down the other
34 > end of the shop, the track finishes and is then followed by a loud track,
35 > which is most likely excessively loud for a shop. Or conversely I start with
36 > a loud track, set the level and then it's followed by a quiet track and the
37 > shop goes quiet.
38 >
39 >        I have no intention of applying whatever process to the media
40 > machine, the tracks on that remain as ripped. I only want to "fiddle" the
41 > tracks on the memory stick. As this is on an Android tablet, quite a cheap
42 > one at that, I'm also not sure how whizz bang the media player is so if I
43 > can get away with the tracks being as "standard" as possible would be good -
44 > my reading earlier on in this thread leads me to believe ReplayGain may not,
45 > although I'll prepared to test, be supported.
46 >
47 >        So with that background, normalise or ReplayGain?
48
49 So long as the media player you're using supports it, I'm of the
50 opinion you should use ReplayGain over modifying the actual encoded
51 data. This way, you can take multiple passes without seriously risking
52 screwing stuff up.
56 :wq