From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems starting KDE
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:55:22
1 I'm attempting to bring up a new system. Processor is AMD Phenom 1055,
2 running on a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Graphics card is an NVIDIA
3 GEForce GTX550Ti.
4
5 If I start X with twm, the xserver connection is made, and TWM comes up
6 correctly with three Xterm windows.
7
8 I note that I get two errors reported,
9 (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load module "dri2" (Module does not exist, 0)
10 /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: xclock: command not found
11
12 The first error is definitely on startup, but the latter could have
13 appeared on exit.
14
15 I have a file 20-nvidia.conf in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory
16 with the following information
17
18 Section "Device"
19 Identifier "Device0"
20 Driver "nvidia"
21 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
22 BoardName "GeForce GTX550 Ti"
23 BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
24 Screen 0
25 EndSection
26
27 Section "Module"
28 Disable "dri"
29 Disable "dri2"
30 Load "glx"
31 EndSection
32
33 If I add exec startkde to the top of the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file,
34 then startx fails to start. I get the same dri2 error as above, but
35 also get
36
37 startkde: Starting up...
38 Connecting to deprecated signal
39 QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
40 kded(13865): Communication Problem with "kded", it probably crashed.
41 Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did
42 not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
43
44 I verified using /etc/init.d/dbus status that the dbus service is
45 running. Same for consolekit.
46
47 /var/log/kdm.log shows one error, repeated for each startup attempt.
48 KCrash: Appication 'kdmgreet' crashing....
49 KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
50 Server Terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
51
52 Any assistance gratefully received.
53
54 Thanks