From: Unknown <drjoms@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: SOLVED: [gentoo-user] "gnomeui-warning": authentication rejected -- hangs on splash screen
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:47:30
1 On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:41 +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
2 > Unknown wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 22:27 +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
4 > > > Unknown wrote:
5 > > > > gnome-session shows mistakes,
6 > >
7 > > right now it showed smth like: "gnomeui-warning": while
8 > > connecting manager: authentication rejected, reason : none of the
9 > > authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
10 > > authentication failed.
11 >
12 > That says it all, doesn't it? Now, I have no idea what this means,
13 > but google for "none of the authentication protocols specified are
14 > supported" and you'll find plenty to read.
15 >
16 > But here are some things to try: run etc-update first. If that
17 > didn't help, then re-emerge pam with 'emerge --oneshot pam' and run
18 > etc-update again, and show us the output of 'emerge -pv pam'. Also
19 > post the output of 'emerge --info' and the contents of /etc/hosts.
20 >
21 > Another thing to try: go down to single-user mode, clean out /tmp
22 > and /var/tmp: make sure to remove every occurrence of .ICE* and
23 > similar files, also from your home dirs and from root's home dir.
24 >
25 > > > In short: too little info.
26 > > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
27 > >
28 > > ok, i agree i am inexpirienced, but it looks a bit like an insult
29 > > to me,
30 >
31 > Eh? Why would I want to insult you? I'm trying to help you, even
32 > though you are doing almost everything wrong: uninformative subject
33 > line, a rambling vague message, no actual error messages... And
34 > no, also now I am not trying to insult you, just telling you how
35 > things are.
36 >
37 > > i did try to locate smth on google, [...]
38 >
39 > You didn't say. You didn't say all the things you had already tried
40 > and searched. How am I supposed to know?
41 >
42 > Benno
43
44 Thanks a lot for help, somehow famd wasn't allright, installation of
45 gamin saved the day...
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list