From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How is /etc/portage/env supposed to work?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:04:47
I'm following the documentation here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/Advanced#Using_.2Fetc.2Fportage.2Fenv

to hook into the postinst phase of an ebuild. The docs only provide an
actual example for the global hook case (/etc/portage/bashrc), but it
says it works the same way on a per-ebuild basis using /etc/portage/env.
But it is totally silent on how to actually do that :-/

So I assume, since the docs don't mention anything special, that I
should put the code in a conf file. So I created this file:

   /etc/portage/env/test.conf

and in it:

   if [ "${EBUILD_PHASE}" == "postinst" ];
   then
       echo ":: TEST"
   fi

Then I added this line to /etc/portage/package.env:

   app-misc/mc test.conf

But when I "emerge app-misc/mc", I get:

!!! Problem in 'app-misc/mc' dependencies.
!!! "/etc/portage/env/test.conf", line 1: Invalid token '[' (not '=')
portage.exception
... done!
"/etc/portage/env/test.conf", line 1: Invalid token '[' (not '=')

I don't get it... Can't I have a per-package bashrc or something? The
docs are suggesting that I can, but don't tell me how.