From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:30:22
1 On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:57:43AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Again, I don't imagine ANY of what we're talking about here will
3 > work for a Windows machine printing to a Linux cups server if a Linux
4 > machine on the same network cannot print to that server.
5
6 Technically not true.
7
8 I had a Lexmark Z810 inkjet that refused to print from my linux
9 desktop, and the problem is almost certainly the print driver. But the
10 inkjet printed just fine over the network from a Windows machine if I
11 setup a raw queue and installed the bundled driver on the Windows
12 machine.
13
14 I eventually decided to just connect the printer to the Windows
15 machine because it seems a bit silly to run a cups server just so the
16 single Windows machine (and only that machine) on the network can
17 print to it.
18
19 W
20 --
21 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
22 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
23 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.