From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 12:08:04
1 Here's a strategy I occasionally use...
2
3 1) Download a Gentoo "minimal install" and set up a USB key to boot from it.
4
5 2) Boot the PC from the install USB key.
6
7 3) Execute the command...
8
9 lsmod | less
10
11 4) Manually scan the output for anything related to sound and write it down.
12
13 That should give you an idea of what modules the install decided on
14 after doing hardware probing. This'll work for almost any device. I
15 recently installed Gentoo on a older machine with an ethernet chip that
16 identified as a string of numbers which didn't help me. But checking
17 "lsmod | less" showed the "e1000e" module in use. I compiled in the
18 driver that gives that module and it works.
19
20 To get a screen capture that you can post here...
21
22 1) Boot from the install USB key.
23
24 2) mount /dev/sdxy /mnt/gentoo
25 Where "x" is a, or b, or c, etc. "y" is 1, or 2, or 3, etc as
26 appropriate for your machine.
27
28 3) lsmod > /mnt/gentoo/mymodules.txt
29
30 Reboot, from the hard drive, find "mymodules.txt" and check it. If
31 you need further help, post it on this list.