From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:56:57
1 > Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
2 > similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
3 > The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
4 > better performance because all executables are optimized for
5 > exactly the right instruction set.
6
7 More often than not, when I read that description of "Gentoo's
8 advantage" it is meant to turn people off. Ricer, etc.
9
10 - Grant
11
12 > Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
13 > parroted by so many people?
14 >
15 > AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
16 > is practically nil in real-world usage.
17 >
18 > In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
19 > as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that
20 > mires other binary-based distros.
21 >
22 > For many years I ran RedHat and then Mandrake. After a year or
23 > so, they became impossible to maintain because of library
24 > version conflicts. Every time I tried up upgrade an RPM package
25 > to fix a bug or security hole, it required a handful of
26 > libraries to be upgraded, but doing that would break a bunch of
27 > other RPMs for which upgrades weren't available. The solution
28 > was always to start building stuff from sources. Once you
29 > started doing that, the package manager would get upset because
30 > it doesn't know about some stuff that's installed (unless you
31 > built from source RPMs, which had another set of problems).
32 >
33 > The second benefit is that with Gentoo, upgrading a system
34 > actually works over the long-run. With RedHat/Mandrake, things
35 > would gradually deteriorate to the point where the system was
36 > unmaintainable, but attempting to upgrade between major
37 > releases was always futile. I've had Gentoo machines that have
38 > been upgraded for 4-5 years without any significant problems
39 > (failed hard-drives don't count).
40 >
41 > The third main benefit I've seen is that there are vastly more
42 > packages available for Gentoo. Putting together and
43 > maintaining an ebuild appears to take a lot less work than
44 > putting together and maintaining a binary RPM package. I've
45 > had far fewer problems with third party ebuilds than I did with
46 > third-party RPMs (on the rare occasions when I found one for
47 > some obscure application I wanted to run). Again, the solution
48 > was always "build from sources".
49 >
50 > Are the real benefits of Gentoo too hard to explain to the
51 > unwashed masses, so instead they're told the fairy tale about
52 > imporoved performance?
53 >
54 > --
55 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! ! Up ahead! It's a