From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Evolution 2.2.3 Filtering Time (Too Long!)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:10:37
1 Not a real solution if you dont have your own mail server, but I moved
2 the spam and filtering to spamassassin/procmail/amavis etc onto my own
3 imap email server and turned off all filtering on that account. Now its
4 not a problem for the main account. An interesting aside is it seems to
5 take as long for the mail gateway to do its checks as evo does.
6
7 However on my work accounts, Ive found turning off junk mail online
8 tests sped it up a lot.
9
10 Other things that it sounds like you have tried.
11 1. added a stop rule to each filter
12 2. move the busiest filters to the top
13 3. use a compound filter rather than separate ones (this assumes there
14 is less overhead doing this - subjectively it does seem quicker)
15 4. dont move/copy files to a remote mail account
16
17 Most delays seem outside evo's control, though I acknowledge the filters
18 themselves are not the fastest.
19
20 Lastly, due to my inbuilt laziness, I use suspend2 each night, leaving
21 evo running on suspend. I use the bios clock to start the machine up at
22 05:55 in the morning - when I stumble out of bed and stare blearily at
23 the screen some time after the 6am alarm has gone off, the filtering is
24 complete and my desktop is ready for use by the time the caffeine starts
25 to work ...
26
27 BillK
28