From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Two systems or one?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 03:40:37
1 On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 19:10 -0700, Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 > > I'm going to build a new system to act as kind of a media system
4 > > (music, DVDs) and I'm not sure if I should incorporate my current
5 > > router/firewall system into the new system or keep them separate.
6 > > What would you guys do?
7 > >
8 > > - Grant
9 >
10 > I would put them together to save on power consumption. Just remember
11 > that your firewall does face the open Net, so avoid putting any
12 > (non-encrypted) sensitive files on it.
13
14 I tend to disagree with that :) If power bills are your concern, get a
15 small low power board to be your firewall.
16
17 In anycase, I'd keep the firewall stable (x86, not ~x86), and locked
18 down with whatever you feel is necessary - selinux, hardened, root check
19 thingamybobs.
20
21 Then you can run ~x86 on your media pc. IMHO a lot of media apps are
22 still quite heavily developed, and so you will get useful updates by
23 using ~x86. And if it crashes then no big deal!
24
25 Your media PC can be regularly updated with the latest hardware if you
26 wish, but your firewall can stay on the same PII for years (like mine :)
27
28 HTH,
32 Monotheism is a gift from the gods.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list