From: "tparker@××××××××××.net" <tparker@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 32/64bit confusion
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:54:33
1 I have a new (first) gentoo amd64 install, multilib, and have been
2 searching the docs, forums and google for information on how to handle
3 emerges for 32bit programs on the 64bit install.
4
5 I have found some references to using -bin for 32bit programs (example:
6 "emerge wine-bin" to get the 32bit version or "emerge wine" to get the
7 64 bit version) but I haven't been able to get that to work; emerge
8 wine-bin returns: 'emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "wine-bin".'
9 Searches didn't turn up examples or explanations to help me find what I
10 am doing wrong.
11
12 I also found references to making a chroot environment to use when
13 running the 32bit programs, but they all made it sound like a short step
14 from a dualboot - that I would not be able to use anything in my 64bit
15 environment while that was running. For example, having a 32bit program
16 running in windowed mode through wine while I have 64 bit work programs
17 running on the same desktop, or 32 bit firefox (for flash) with the rest
18 of the system 64bit.
19
20 The information must be in the documentation somewhere, but I am failing
21 at finding the correct search terms to get me information newer than
22 2005-2007. Thanks for any help you can give.