From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 21:32:45
1 On 2018.12.03 11:27, Pouru Lasse wrote:
2 > I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that
3 > I'd
4 > like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does
5 > this?
6 > I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
7 > DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
8
9 I have not installed dvdisaster, but I'd be really surprised if it
10 won't check dvd's. The ebuild description is "Tool for creating error
11 correction data (ecc) for optical media (DVD, CD, BD)" so if it really
12 balks at a dvd, I'd file a bug.
13
14 Also - what is your criteria for finding an error? Could you just read
15 the entire disk or copy to /dev/null and just look for any read
16 errors? (I'm not sure if I'd try cp or dd or some variant on dd.)
17
18 Jack