From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] To emerge -e world or not to emerge -e world?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:32:12
1 I know that upgrading glibc can cause some programs to break if they
2 were built against the previous glibc. This happens to me all the time
3 and I have gotten in the habit of simply re-emerging any packages that
4 misbehave since a glibc upgrade.
5
6 Well, I have upgraded both glibc and gcc within the last week or so.
7 And I've been contemplating a kernel upgrade too. I looked at genlop
8 and it said it will take a mere fourteen hours to re-emerge everything
9 with an emerge -e world. I'm tempted to do it, but I'm wary of making
10 major changes to a system that currently seems to be working perfectly.
11
12 However, I've only tested a handful of packages (the ones that I use
13 every day) since the glibc upgrade, and I did have to rebuild a few of
14 them. For this reason, I'm guessing that a significant number of the
15 packages that I haven't tested are actually broken too. So when I say
16 my system seems to be working perfectly, I think that only applies to
17 the packages that I interact with daily and probably not to some of the
18 ones that I don't.
19
20 When does it make sense to re-emerge everything? I've heard some people
21 say never but that others do it perhaps monthly or even more often.
22
23 Is there a (significant) risk that something will go wrong? Even
24 terribly wrong?
25
26 Is it possible that some important programs aren't working right now due
27 to having been built against an older glibc, and that I'm simply
28 oblivious to the fact that they aren't working? I'm worried
29 specifically about system programs that I don't usually have reason to
30 interact with, yet may be vitally important to the security and
31 stability of my system.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list