From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:57:54
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:38:02 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Mickaël Bucas wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> 2009/12/11 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> Unix works the way it does precisely so you *don't* require a
12 >>>> reboot to use new libraries. They are already there and fully
13 >>>> installed and fully operational. You just have to start using them
14 >>>> - this may require restarting the relevant app that uses them and
15 >>>> perhaps ldconfig.
16 >>>>
17 >>> To find out which files have been replaced, you can use the
18 >>> following command : lsof | grep DEL
19 >>> This will give you all files that have been deleted since they have
20 >>> been loaded by the process.
21 >>> >From the process name, you can deduce the service and restart it.
22 >>> I've never needed a reboot for this kind of problem.
23 >>> You may have to switch to run level 1 to restart some important
24 >>> services like udev.
25 >>>
26 >> Actually, you can kill udev and restart it. Kill the process and
27 >> then run "/sbin/udevd --daemon" and it will be started again.
30 > If you're restarting services yourself instead of switching runlevels
31 > to get them all at once, you can still use the initscripts.
32 >
33 > # /etc/init.d/udev restart
37 That doesn't work in baselayout 1 tho. If I switch to single user,
38 udevd is still running. The only way to stop it is to kill it.
39
40 root@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev start
41 * The udev init-script is written for baselayout-2!
42 * Please do not use it with baselayout-1!.
43 root@smoker / #
46 Dale
47