From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/machine-id ???
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:40:38
1 On Friday 24 June 2011 00:30:43 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [11-06-23 17:52]:
3 > > On Thursday 23 June 2011 04:49:57 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I found a file /etc/machine-id on my linux box.
7 > > > I did a qfile for this and nothing was found.
8 > > >
9 > > > What purpose is that file and can I delete it without problems?
10 > > >
11 > > > Best regards,
12 > > > mcc
13 > >
14 > > I don't have that file on any of my machines, however, a quick google
15 > > reveals this may be related to dbus:
16 > >
17 > > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2011-March/014188.html
18 > >
19 > > Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this?
20 > >
21 > > --
22 > > Joost
23 >
24 > I dont like the idea of haveing something on my box, which make it
25 > identificable or unique ... thinking of the diskussion of the use
26 > and misuse of a CPU-ID.
27 > Reading /dev/urandom instead is more what it should be in my opinion,
28 > since that changes from boot to boot...
29 >
30 > Paranoia is your best friend.... ;-/
31 >
32 > mcc
33
34 "rm /etc/machine-id" right after the root-partition is remounted RW should
35 solve that? :)