From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:34:03
1 I would move ssh to a very high port number of your choice. Most ssh
2 port scanners do not bother checking anything other than port 22, as
3 it is too time consuming. I have not had any weird hits on my ssh
4 port in years. It was hammered daily, even with attempted logins and
5 such, with it running on port 22. Now, pretty much nothing. Why not
6 use something like 65350 or some random high port like that?
7
8 And yes, you probably shouldn't be asking these questions if you have
9 an important linux computer on the internet. Because if it is
10 important, you should know what you are doing before you put it on the
11 internet.
12
13 If on the other hand, you're just getting to know linux, and the
14 computer is not all that important, then you should be asking these
15 questions.
16