From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage directory ownerships?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:37:35
1 On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:25:15 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 15/09/2015 22:09, james wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > So looking at /etc/portage/repos.conf, it seems root.root owns these
6 > > files; shouldn't it be portage.portage? and /usr/portage
7 > >
8 > > That got me thinking. Everywhere that portage operates or owns
9 > > things, should the ownership not be portage.portage
10 > > and what would the typical permissions be?
11 >
12 > Here, all of /etc/portage is root:root
13 > The tree and all overlays are portage:portage
14 >
15 > You can make a local overlay owned by user you want, stuff you hack away
16 > at yourself should probably be james:james or james:users
17 >
18 > Typically, permissions in /etc/portage are the usual 755 for dirs and
19 > 644 for files
20 >
21 > I set overlays and the tree to be 2775 for dirs and 664 for files
24 > > Is there a master list I can look at? Surely root not own all
25 > > these dirs, like /usr/portage/* ? My /usr/portage is root.root
26 > > and 755 on permissions, is that right?
27 >
28 > Permissions should be what YOU need them to be on your computer. There's
29 > a default, it's what portage makes them when you install stuff
32 > > If so, why?
33 >
34 > Only root should change the master config files in /etc, just like in
35 > all other apps
36 > IIRC emerge can drop privs to a user account, if that user is portage
37 > then portage must own the files
38
39 It is true that portage drops privileges to the portage account (unless the
40 ebuild has RESTRICT="userpriv" or I think FEATURES="-userpriv" on make.conf)
41 but it doesn't need to write to the portage tree except to the distfiles
42 directory so I don't know of any reason to have everything owned by
43 portage:portage if the perms are 755/644.
44
45 Mine is owned by root:root because it got borked one time after a sync so I
46 deleted it and copied from another box manually. The only problem I ever had
47 is that a fetch failed, and I just chowned the distfiles dir to portage:portage
48 to fix it. Only recently it was pointed to me on this list that it was supposed
49 to be portage:portage. I never changed it back to portage:portage but I made a
50 mental note not to forget about it in case of trouble, that way I'll learn why
51 that's the default if/when something breaks :) Besides it offers some (limited)
52 protection against an ebuild accidentally writing to your portage tree.
55 > > In my /usr/local/portage and it's subdirs where I hack on many
56 > > ebuild, portage.portage owns everything.....?
57 >
58 > Make your life easy, chaown that stuff to james
59
60 I personally prefer root:root because I think it is more secure. If you let
61 somebody use your account even for a minute s/he could modify an ebuild
62 without a password to install whatever s/he wants next time you run an update.
63
64 > > Curious, and I cannot remember ever looking at this....
67 > > James
77 Fernando Rodriguez