From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Still can't boot (but making progress).
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 11:57:43
1 Hello, Joost.
2
3 On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 20:16:37 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > On April 28, 2017 9:51:07 PM GMT+02:00, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > >In the end, I went with grub2, and it has taken a lot of effort to get
7 > >not very far. Grub's documentation is suboptimal.
8
9 > >The state I've managed to get to is that grub appears to have loaded my
10 > >kernel (it no longer gives an error message about it not being loaded),
11 > >but then hangs without the kernel outputting even a single message. At
12 > >this point, only the reset-button will do anything - Ctrl-Alt-Del does
13 > >nothing.
14
15 > >Just for reference's sake, my boot setup is EFI on GPT. I have two
16 > >NVMe
17 > >SSDs, which will be working together in several mdadm RAID pairs. grub
18 > >can read my SSDs, reporting correctly their partitioning and being able
19 > >to cat the grub configuration file.
20
21 > >So, why, after apparently loading the kernel, does grub fail to start
22 > >it?
23 > >Any ideas, anybody?
24
25 > >Here are the relevant bits of my grub.cfg:
26
27 [ .... ]
28
29 > Have you tried connecting using ssh after boot?
30 > Also, do you have the EFI console support in your kernel?
31
32 I didn't, but do now.
33
34 More to the point, I'd forgotten to compile the pertinent Radeon
35 microcode into my kernel, so it's not surprising I saw nothing on my
36 screen. What an idiot!
37
38 Now I see 16 penguins on my screen, followed by some messages, followed
39 by a kernel panic, since it can't find the root partition. It's a long
40 time since I've been so happy to see a kernel panic. ;-)
41
42 So thank you to everybody who somehow churned up my thinking enough to
43 get me over this point.
44
46
47 > --
48 > Joost
49 > --
50 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
53 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).