From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] quickpkg on a complete system?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:11:15
1 On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:18:22 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
6 > have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
7 > -DuN @world does nothing new.
8 >
9 > I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
10 > all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
11 > for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.
12 >
13 > I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
14 > packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
15 > actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
16 > FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
17 > simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
18 > not actually compile the packages themselves?
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > Mark
24 RTFM :-)
25
26 "man quickpkg" lists "quickpkg @system" in the examples section.
27
28 "quickpkg @world" works and does what you expect - tar and gzips the
29 entire package as it is on-disk. As to what is in the quickpkg, it's
30 the same list as you get from "equery files <pkg_name>.
31
32 Thereafter, enable FEATURES="quickpkg" and portage will keep everything
33 new up to date.
34
35 Also read up on eclean, which helps to remove old quickpkg cruft
39 Alan McKinnnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com