From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] email within a LAN?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:11:45
1 On Jan 17, 2006, at 2:37 PM, matthew.garman@×××××.com wrote:
2
3 > Does anyone know of a relatively easy way to send email within a
4 > private LAN (192.168.x.x), and at the same time know when to send
5 > the mail to an external router?
6 >
7 > I have three gentoo boxes and one OpenBSD box in my home LAN; I'd
8 > like to be able to send email internally (i.e. without going out to
9 > the Internet) for various administrative notifications (e.g.
10 > smartd).
11 >
12 > When I researched this in the past, I couldn't figure out any way
13 > simpler than a nontrivial postfix setup PLUS a working DNS/bind
14 > installation.
15 >
16 if you give all your machines a fake domain name....boo.boo, say.
17 and set up a postfix server that considers itself authoritative for
18 that domain, then your wife could send an email at matt@×××.boo, and
19 her email client would be set up to send via that mail gateway (for
20 ALL mail). the gateway (that postfix box) would accept the mail,
21 look at it and say, oh, that's matt on me. you would then check that
22 server via pop (or preferably imap) for the boo.boo domain mail.
23 That's essentially what happens with my family, except I happen to
24 own the jolet.net domain, and that box also handles incoming traffic
25 for that domain. I'd call that pretty set it and forget it. Or
26 better yet, spend the $7/year and buy your own domain. I use
27 zoneedit to populate the relationship between jolet.net and my
28 dynamic ip address on my broadband, and publish that as the mx for
29 jolet.net.
30
31 > I'm wishfully thinking that there is now an easy "set it and forget
32 > it" way to accomplish what I want :)
33 >
34 > Anyone have any suggestions?
35 >
36 > Thank you!