From: Thomas Harold <tgh@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} External hard-drive choice
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:39:51
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I am looking to purchase an external hard-drive for backing up data.
5 > I am looking for something that has >250G capacity (preferably
6 > around 300G so I have room to grow). My desktop does not have a
7 > firewire port, so it is essential that I can use a USB2 connection.
8 > (Of course, it is also essential that it works with Gentoo!)
9 >
10 > What do people recommend?
11
12 BYTECC ME-835U2F
13
14 Takes any size 3.5" drive that you want to install (the 400GB IDEs are a
15 good price/GB right now). All metal construction. Includes it's own
16 PSU inside and takes a standard PC cord. So you don't have to keep
17 track of an external AC/DC converter. Has both Firewire and USB 2
18 connectors on the back. Has a power switch.
19
20 Best of all, it has an internal fan to keep the hard drive cool.
21
22 Takes about 10 minutes to assemble, just be careful not to pinch the 4
23 HD power wires as you slide the unit back inside the case. The screw
24 mount inside the case passes within a few mm of where the HD power wires
25 tend to bend to.
26
27 (I've found it very difficult to find units with built-in PSUs and
28 adequate hard drive cooling combined with dual-interface designs.)
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list