From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 16:08:19
1 On 08/04/2016 05:09 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 12:16:32 AM james wrote:
3 >> On 08/01/2016 11:49 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Monday, August 01, 2016 08:43:49 AM james wrote:
5 >
6 > <snipped>
7 >
8 >>>> Way back, when the earth was cooling and we all had dinosaurs for pets,
9 >>>> some of us hacked on AT&T "3B2" unix systems. They were know for their
10 >>>> 'roll back and recovery', triplicated (or more) transaction processes
11 >>>> and 'voters' system to ferret out if a transaction was complete and
12 >>>> correct. There was no ACID, the current 'gold standard' if you believe
13 >>>> what Douglas and other write about concerning databases.
14 <snip>
15 >> Comparing results of codes run on 3 different processors or separate
16 >> machines for agreement withing tolerances, is quite different. The very
17 >> essence of using voting where there a result less that 1.0 (that is
18 >> n-1/n or n-x/n was requisite on identical (replicated) processes all
19 >> returning the same result ( expecting either a 0 or 1) returned. Results
20 >> being logical or within rounding error of acceptance. Surely we need not
21 >> split hairs. I was merely pointing out that the basis telecom systems
22 >> formed the early and of widespread transaction processing industries and
23 >> is the grand daddy of the ACID model/norms/constructs of modern
24 >> transaction processing.
25 >
26 > Hmm... I am having difficulty following how ACID and ensuring results are
27 > correct by double or triple checking are related.
28
29 Atomicity; Consistency; Isolation, Durability == ACID (so we are all on
30 the same page).
31
32 Not my thesis. My thesis, inspired by these threads, is that all of
33 these (4) properties of ACID, originated in the telephone networks, as
34 separate issues. When telephonic switching moved from electro-mechanical
35 systems to computers, each of these properties where develop by the
36 telephonic software and equipment providers. Banks followed the
37 switching systems and these (4) ACID properties were realized to be
38 universally useful and instituted and rebranded as 'transactions'
39
40 Database systems, developed by IBM and other quickly realized the value
41 of ACID properties in all sorts of forms of data movement and
42 modification (ie the transaction). Database developers and vendors
43 did not invent ACID properties. Indeed and in fact those properties were
44 first used collectively in the legacy telephonic systems, best
45 desribed by SS(7). Earlier version are a case study in redundancy and
46 reliability of those early telecom systems. Granted latency was a big
47 problem, that moving from electric circuits to digital circuits was
48 fixed; yet still there was the five-nines of quality (99.999%) wonderful.
51 >> For massively parallel needs,
52 >> distributed processing rules, but it is not trivial
53 >
54 > Agreed.
55
56 <snip>
59 >> Another point, there are single big GPUs that can be run as thousands of
60 >> different processors on either FPGA or GPU, granted using SIMD/MIMD
61 >> style processors and thing like 'systolic algorithms' but that sort of
62 >> this is out of scope here. (Vulcan might change that, in an open source
63 >> kind of way, maybe). Furthermore, GPU resources combined with DDR-5 can
64 >> blur the line and may actually be more cost effective for many forms of
65 >> transaction processing, but clusters, in their current forms are very
66 >> much general purpose machines.
67 >
68 > I don't really agree here. For most software, having a really fast CPU helps.
69 > Having a lot of mediocre CPUs means the vast majority isn't doing anything
70 > useful.
71 > Software running on clusters needs to be written with massive parallel
72 > processing in mind. Most developers don't understand this part.
73
74 Where did you get the idea that folks builing clusters, are not as
75 interested in using the fastest processors possible; dude, that's just
76 failed (non-sequitur)logic.
77
78 Well this premise of yours is a corollary to my thesis; and the early
79 telecom systems developers were historically 'bad ass' and highly
80 intelligent. It has taken the software development world decades to
81 catch up to key systems attributes of hardware design (redundancy and
82 roll-back and recovery). Now that things are digital, you can run codes
83 on a variety of different hardware to abstract the properties of ACID
84 and supercede ACID, with yet more properties of robust hardware design.
85 (Sadly, even most EE professors are severly lacking in this knowledge).
86 Modern EE experts have most of their magic attributed to European
87 Mathmeticians, but that's another issue, too complex for the average
88 java* coder. Curiously, you can read all about, Hilbert, should you need
89 to scratch that itch....
93 >> My point:: Douglas is dead wrong about ACID being dominated by Databases,
94 >> for technical reasons, particularly for advanced teams of experts.
95 >
96 > Wikipedia actually disagrees with you:
97 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID
98 > "In computer science, ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) is
99 > a set of properties of database transactions."
100
101 Exactly. Database vendors got the ideas and components (literals and
102 abstractions
103 from the telephonics industries to get a leg up on moving electronic
104 switching (which already had those key components now referred to as
105 ACID) in hardware. When those electro-mechanical systems move to digital
106 circuits, Bell labs ensure those properties where a closely hend secret
107 wrapped up in the 'unix OS' They did promote ACID in their software and
108 the banks were the other customers were likewise saying YES YES YES, we
109 want telcom ACID level of performance in our (developing) computer
110 software too. But the migration to digital let the 'cat out of the bag'
111 on the wonders of ACID (long before Timothy Leary, just so the
112 Californians among us can keep up!).
115 > In other words, it's related to databases
116
117 They (vendors) copied it from telecom, and wildly promoted it, very
118 successfully. Combine this with the fact that most US EE programs are
119 abysmally weak (always have been), so now we indeed and in fact have
120 this severe lapse in robust and fault tolerant systems.
121
122 WHY? Nothing (industrial or commercial) had the "Five-nines" of
123 reliability, but those electro-mechanical telephonic systems.
124 *nothing* Everybody wanted it; hence those (4) components were harvested
125 from telephonics and used as a model for all transactions.
126
127 Take "atomicity" for example. It has it's roots in "call setup".
128 Dialogic is a pc board vendor (from decades ago) that followed those
129 early systems. Here is a document (from the 70s/80s/?) were they
130 have "40 Atomic Functions" that they use in software to control the
131 hardware for 'call setup and management'. Sure many more documents
132 exist, but they may not be publically available in electronic forms.
133 All of this occurred before those folks that write for Wikipedia were
134 ever born, so they could not possible be aware of these issues and
135 historical precedence.
136
137 [1]
138 https://www.dialogic.com/webhelp/MSP1010/10.4.0/WebHelp/ppl_dg/l3p_cic.htm
141 One can research each of those four properties and discover how telecom
142 integrated them into the phone system of North America (Europe almost
143 evolved simultaneously). Bell Labs is " the data of ACID"; and it was a
144 tightly held secret as long as possible, to delay the expansion of usage
145 and eventual break up of that legacy monopoly.
146
147 There are many things in the (legacy) communications world that have not
148 accurately made it's way to digital in a form freely available on the
149 internet. (like signal intercept). Think of all of those hidden
150 antennae arrays in the UK when microwave telecom was all the rage.
151 MCI was a key player on exploiting microwave (another tenant of EE).
154 >> Surely most MBA, HR and Finance types of
155 >> idiots running these new startups would know know a coder from an
156 >> architect, and that is very sad, because a good consultant could have
157 >> probably designed several robust systems in a week or two. Grant few
158 >> consultants has that sort of unbiased integrity, because we all have
159 >> bills to pay and much is getting outsourced... Integrity has always been
160 >> the rarest of qualities, particularly with humanoids......
161 >
162 > The software Uber uses for their business had to be developed in-house as
163 > there, at least at the time, was nothing available they could use ready-made.
164 > This usually means, they start with something simple they can get running
165 > quickly. If they want to fully design the whole system first, they would never
166 > get anything done.
167 >
168 > Where these projects usually go wrong is that they wait too long with a good
169 > robust design, leading to a near impossibility of actually fixing all the, in
170 > hindsight obvious, design mistakes.
171 > (NOTE: In hindsight, as most of the actual requirements would not be clear on
172 > day 1)
173
174 I could not agree with you more.
175
176 The more processors, readily available to codes that know how to use
177 them, in parallel the faster and better and more reliable the systems
178 developed (including the software) will be. Some are working on extremly
179 low latency systems where FPGAs are embedded in general purpose
180 processors (Intel is leading on this). The DoD has been using these
181 systems for decades. Clusters are superior to single (or multicore)
182 systems if these kids knew anything about redundancy and fault
183 tolerance; both which originate in hardware and the telecom industries
184 perfected to the 99.999% robustness level (while IBM drulled on their
185 punch-cards. I know, I was there......
186
187 And in my opinion,that was the most important of the collective of
188 reasons why AT&T, it's 10,000+ lawyers and assholes in our government
189 fought so hard to keep early unix expansion out of the hands of the
190 masses. At one point it was easier to get a top-secret clearance than it
191 was to code on those early telecom systems.
194 >>>> and the switch was was configured, then the code would
195 >>>> essentially 'vote' and majority ruled. This is what led to phone calls
196 >>>> (switched phone calls) having variable delays, often in the order of
197 >>>> seconds, mis-connections and other problems we all encountered during
198 >>>> periods of excessive demand.
199 >>>
200 >>> Not sure if that was the cause in the past, but these days it can also
201 >>> still take a few seconds before the other end rings. This is due to the
202 >>> phone-system (all PBXs in the path) needing to setup the routing between
203 >>> both end-points prior to the ring-tone actually starting.
204 >>> When the system is busy, these lookups will take time and can even
205 >>> time-out. (Try wishing everyone you know a happy new year using a wired
206 >>> phone and you'll see what I mean. Mobile phones have a seperate problem
207 >>> at that time)
208 >> I did not intend to argue about the minutia of how a particular Baby
209 >> Bell implemented their SS7 switching systems on unix systems. My point
210 >> was the 'transaction processing' grew out the early telephone network,
211 >> the way I remember it:: ymmv. Banks did dual entry accounting by hand
212 >> and had clerks manually load data sets, then double entry accounting
213 >> became automated and ACID style transaction processing added later. So
214 >> what sql folks refer to as ACID properties, comes from the North
215 >> American switching heritage and eventually the worlds telecom networks,
216 >> eons ago.
217 >
218 > There is a similarity, but where ACID is a way of guaranteeing data integrity,
219 > a phone-switch does not need this. It simply needs to do the routing
220 > correctly.
221
222 Have you every talked to an old military officer that worked in
223 Intelligence? Like the spy plan incidence over Afganistan, circa 1960
224 [2]? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_U-2_incidentf
225
226 Data integrity almost caused WW2.
227
228 WRONG. The fives-nines was so coveted by everyone else that there was a
229 feeding frezy on just how these folks at bell labs pulled it off. Early
230 (1950-1970s) computational systems were abysmal to own or operate and
231 yet the sorry ass phone company had 99.999% perfection (thanks to bell
232 labs)? They provided the T1 and T3 lines in/out of the pentagon.
233 Jealousy was outrageous. Database vendors where struggling with
234 assembler and 'board changeouts' as Rich alluded to.
235
236 <snip>
237
238 >>> ACID is about data integrity. The "best 2 out of 3" voting was, in my
239 >>> opinion, a work-around for unreliable hardware.
240
241 Correct. voting was used as the precursor technology to distributed
242 systems (today it's the cluster), It added to the reliablity and
243 robustness. It provided consistency. It demonstrated that the entire
244 string of what was need for ss7, including call setup, could be
245 replicated and run on a cluster (oops another hardware set)....
248 >> Absolute true. But the fact that a High Reliability in computer
249 >> processing (including the billing) could be replicated performed
250 >> elsewhere and then 'recombined', proves that the need of any ACID
251 >> function can be split up and ran on clusters and achieve ACID standards
252 >> or even better. So my point, is that the cluster, if used wisely,
253 >> will beat the 'dog shit' out of any Oracle fancy-pants database
254 >> maneuvers. Evidence:: Snoracle is now snapping up billion dollar
255 >> companies in the cluster space, cause their days of extortion are
256 >> winding down rather rapidly, imho.
257
258 > I disagree here. For some workloads, clusters are really great. But SQL
259 > databases will remain.
260
261 As a subset of distributed processing. Oracle (the champion of
262 databases) is going to atrophy and slip into irrelevance, once kids
263 learn how to supersede ACID with judicious cluster hardware and codes on
264 top of heterogeneous clusters..... Granted any corp with billions and
265 billions and deep (illegal?) relationships with government officals will
266 eventually prosper again....
267
268 Once again, EE will light the forward path.
269
270 >> Also, just because the kids are writing the codes, have not figured all
271 >> of this out, does not mean that SQL and any abstraction is better that
272 >> parallel processing. No way in hell. Cheaper and quicker to set up,
273 >> surely true, but never superior to a well design properly coded
274 >> distributed solution. That's my point.
275 >
276 > Workloads where you can split the whole processing into small chunks where the
277 > same steps can be performed over a random sized chunk and merging at a later
278 > stage will lead to correct results. Then yes.
279
280 True, but it's not quite as restrictive as you think. Large system,
281 with even just a small bit of parallism integrated into the overall
282 architecture, benefit. Howmuch depends on the designers. We do need
283 more EE coders leading on cluster designs, but the Universities (world
284 wide) have let everyone down.
288 > However, I deal with processes and reports where the amount of possible chunks
289 > is definitely limited and any theoretical benefit of splitting it over multiple
290 > nodes will be lost when having to build a very fancy and complex algorithm to
291 > merge all the seperate results back together.
292
293 NoSQL is an abysmal failure. SQL need to be a small subset of robust
294 parallel systems design and implementation. The latest venue is
295 'unikernels'.
296
297 Cluster will dominate because deep pockets can have the latest and
298 fastest and cheapest hardware, in massive quantities before the
299 commoners even learn how it works. Arm64V8 is a prime example and
300 current example. It's heat loading per unit of processing, blows away
301 Cisc based systems. FPGA can implement any processor or memory structure
302 and can it in microseconds. But these are areas where attornies via the
303 patent system, abuse light-weight competition.
306 > This algorithm then also needs to be extensively tested analysed and
307 > understood by future developers. The additional cost involved will be
308 > prohibitive.
309
310 Don't we need more jobs? Are you kidding me? That's way large
311 corporations are so vehemently aggressive in these spaces. We have all
312 kinds of 'stem graduates' here in the US that cannot get a stem job.
313 (hence trumps appeal to the middle class:: tarrifs and promote
314 competition at home).
317 > I disagree, UBER is still using a relational database as the storage layer
318 > with something custom put over it to make it simpler for the developers.
319 > Any abstraction layer will have a negative performance impact.
320
321 Wanna bet that UBER and like minded companies change again and again and
322 again, until they start study of what mathematicians and EE have been
323 doing for a very long time.
324
325 >>> It is based on a clever idea, but when
326 >>> 2 computers having the same data and logic come up with 2 different
327 >>> answers, I wouldn't trust either of them.
328
329 This is rare occurance in digital systems. However, when you look at
330 other forms of computational mathematics, tolerances have to be used
331 to get consistency (oops another property of acid showing up in legacy
332 literature).
333
334 I could not care less about UBER's problems, unless they send some funds
335 my way. BUT, I am willing to share knowledge, so they 'wise up' because
336 fundamentally, I love disruption in the status quo.
339 >> Yep, That the QA of Transactions is rejected and must be resubmitted,
340 >> modified or any number of remedies, is quite common in many forms of
341 >> software. Voting does not correct errors, except maybe a fractional
342 >> rounding up to 1(pass) or down to zero (failure). It does help to
343 >> achieve the ACI of ACID
344 >
345 > It's one way of doing it. But it can also cause extra delays due to having to
346 > wait for seperate nodes to finish and then to check if they all agree.
347
348 Once clusters are prototyped on Cisc systems, Those codes will be
349 rapidly moving to DSPs, GPUs and FPGA and DDR5+. Those with deep pockets
350 will 'smoke' the competition and idiots like Verizon
351 will be trying to make more stupid acquisitions. Folks do know that
352 Verizon sold off billions in data centers, close to fiber highway
353 to by Yahoo, right? (It "pays out" because they are actually dumping
354 hundreds of thousands of legacy employees (trump voters); that's what
355 that transaction is all about. They are still doom to fail, because the
356 software idiots advising Verizon, have no clue about the fundamentals
357 and mathematics of Communications. (very sad state of affair for Verizon).
360 >> Since billions and billions of these (complex) transactions are
361 >> occurring, it is usually just repeated. If it keeps failing then
362 >> engineers/coders take a deeper look. Rare statistical anomalies are
363 >> auto-scrutinized (that would be replications and voting) and the pushed
364 >> to a logical zero or logical one.
365 >
366 > The complexity comes from having to mould the algorithm into that structure.
367 > And additional complexity also makes it more fault-likely.
368
369 Only during development and beta tests. After a while it will become
370 'rock solid' and pushed down into the lowest levels of hardware, so it
371 is hidden from the average coder. Here is a billionare, who is quite
372 stealthy, that has done this exact thing most recently.
373
374 [3] https://www.deshawresearch.com/
375 [4]
376 https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Computer-Architecture-How-its-like-working-for-DESHAW-RESEARCH-as-an-ASIC-designer-architect
377
378 <snip>
379
380 > A lot can be described using 'modern' designs. However, the fact remains that
381 > ACID was worked out for databases and not for phone systems. Any sane system
382 > will have some form of consistency checks, but the extent where this is done
383 > for a data storage layer, like a database, will be different to the extent
384 > where this is done for a switching layer, like a router or phone switch.
385
386 Please reread my previous posts. You, or anyone can do the individual
387 (and robust) research on the ACID components and the history of telecom.
388
389 Wikipedia and many other sites have failed you here; sorry.
390
391 <snip>
392
393 > Those incompetencies are usually in the domain of finances and services
394 > provided. The basic service of a telecoms company is pretty simple: "Pass
395 > data/voice between A and B".
396 > There are plenty of proven systems available that can do this. The mistakes
397 > are usually of the kind: The system that we bought does not handle the load
398 > the salesperson promised.
399
400 ON the surface, you are absolutely correct. Mass education is severly
401 thrwated by the entire patent system, grotesque lawyers and legal
402 semantics and the 'bought and sold politicians' from around the globe.
403 (the same folks that brought us globalism). So folks are merely
404 "uneducated" in these matters. Yes these globalists continue to consipre
405 against commoners, around the globe. Education and sharing of hardware
406 and software and mathematics and physics will set the captives free
407 (eventually). This is the essence of WW3 imho.
408
409 The fact that the masses and even most coders are blissfully unaware of
410 where ACID came from, is a testament to the failure of globalism that
411 provides the protection to the billionaire class of manipulators, imho.
414 >>> With a small number, it might actually still scale, but when you pass a
415 >>> magic number (no clue what this would be), the counting time starts to
416 >>> exceed any time you might have gained by adding more voters.
417 >>
418 >> Nope the larger the number, the more expensive. The number of voters
419 >> rarely goes above 5, but it could for some sorts of physics problems
420 >> (think quantum mechanics and logic not bound to [0 1] whole numbers.
421 >> Often logic circuits (constructs for programmers, have "dont care"
422 >> states that can be handled in a variety of ways (filters, transforms,
423 >> counters etc etc).
424 >
425 > "don't care" values should always be ignored. Never actually used. (Except for
426 > randomizer functionality)
427
428 Dude, you need to find some Rf/analog folks and learn about what's going
429 on around "noise" in systems. Once thought to be useless, or a
430 hindrance, it is a fertile ground for innovation, again that the masses
431 are blissfully unaware of. Much is termed "classified" just so you know.
434 >>> Also, this, to me, seems to counteract the whole reason for using
435 >>> clusters:
436 >>> Have different nodes handle a different part of the problem.
437 >>
438 >> That also occurs. But my point is properly design code for the cluster
439 >> can replace ACID functions, offered by Oracle and other over priced
440 >> solutions, on standard cluster hardware.
441 >
442 > All commonly used relational databases have ACID functionality as long as they
443 > support transactions. There is no need to only choose a commercial version for
444 > that.
445
446 Like the Chinese, they are brilliant copy cats:: nothing wrong with that
447 (see my take on 100% absolution of all patents, globally.
450 >> The problem with todays
451 >> clusters is the vendors that employ the kid-coders, are making things
452 >> far more complicated that necessary, so the average linux hacker just
453 >> outsources via the cloud. DUMB, insecure and not a wise choice for many
454 >> industries.
455 >
456 > Moving your entire business into the cloud often is.
457 I could not agree more. HYBRID systems, where the chief
458 architect/designer works exclusively for the custer, is where the future
459 will shake out. All of this idiocy on the masses on the web:: who cares
460 where it is processed. The closer to the node-idiot-user-consumer, the
461 better, mathematically.
464 >> And sooner or later folks are going to get wise can build
465 >> their own clusters that just solve the problems they have. Surely hybrid
466 >> clusters will domiant where the owner of the codes does outsource peak
467 >> loads and mundance collects of ordinary (non-critical) data.
468 >
469 > Eg. hybrid solutions...
470
471 Yes yes and HELL YES! In fact gentoo stands out for the quintessential
472 'unikernel' for distributed processing!
475 >> Vendors know this and have started another 'smoke and mirrors' campaign called
476 >> (brace yourself) 'Unikernels'.....
477 >
478 > "unikernels" is something a small group came up with... I see no practical
479 > benefit for that approach.
480
481 A minimize gentoo system and an optimize and severly stripped linux
482 kernel is pretty much a unikernel. Docker, the leader in
483 commercialization of containers, knows this and has subsummed Alpine
484 linux. Patients my friend, it will become very clear over time, but not
485 exactly the way the current vendors are portraying unikernels.
488 >> Problem with that approach is they
489 >> should just be using minized (focused) gentoo on striped and optimize
490 >> linux kernels; but that is another lost art from the linux collection
491 >
492 > I see "unikernels" as basically, running the applications directly on top of a
493 > hypervisor. I fail to see how this makes more sense than starting an
494 > application directly on top of an OS. The whole reason we have an OS is to
495 > avoid having to reinvent the wheel (networking, storage, memory handling,....)
496 > for every single program.
497
498 (see above response). For the last few years, I have run into an
499 astounding number of brilliant folks that have mastered and use gentoo
500 on a daily basis. The more I learn about clusters, the more I realize
501 why this massive of gentoo folks are so silent on these matters.
502 Strategic business plans, brah. Gentoo is the worlds best kept secret.
505 >>> Clusters of multiple compute-nodes is a quick and "simple" way of
506 >>> increasing the amount of computational cores to throw at problems that
507 >>> can be broken down in a lot of individual steps with minimal
508 >>> inter-dependencies.
509 >>
510 >> And surpass the ACID features of either postgresql or Oracle, and spend
511 >> less money (maybe not with you and postgresql on their team)!
512 >
513 > Large clusters are useful when doing Hadoop ("big data") style things (I
514 > mostly work with financial systems and the corresponding data).
515 > Storing the entire datawarehouse inside a cluster doesn't work with all the
516 > additional requirements. Reports still need to be displayed quickly and a
517 > decently configured database is usually more beneficial. Where systems like
518 > Exadata really help here is by integrating the underlying storage (SAN) with
519 > the actual database servers and doing most of the processing in-memory.
520 > Eg. it works like a dedicated and custom build cluster environment specifically
521 > for a relational database.
522
523 There is a revolution in hardware memory technologies. In a few more
524 years massive ram will be an integral part of of the computational
525 hardware (think DDR5 and GPUs currently. Most massive systems can be
526 split up into small systems too. Databse vendors have little incentive
527 to do this for customers. The art of the design and implementation of
528 'transaction processing' need to return to hardware concepts during this
529 transition.
533 >>> I say "simple" because I think designing a 1,000 core chip is more
534 >>> difficult than building a 1,000-node cluster using single-core, single
535 >>> cpu boxes.
536 >> Today, you are correct. Tomorrow you will be wrong.
537 >
538 > In that case, clusters will be obsolete tomorrow.
539
540 No, the chips and the cluster will be one in the same. Real time
541 sequence stepping in problem->solution domains for things like flight
542 simulation and subsurface fluid management are still grand challenges
543 that are a ways off. The average database solution, even for large
544 commercial/global operations, is going to migrate to clusters. Clusters
545 and storage will continue to migrate to silicon. The biggest problem is
546 the patent system and artificial constructs more commonly known in the
547 business world as "cost barrier to entry" economics. These mostly result
548 from the way the local/state/federal/global laws are implemented and
549 enforced.
552 >> [1]. Besides once
553 >> that chip or VHDL code or whatever is designed, it can be replicated and
554 >> resused endlessly. Think ASIC designers, folks to take a fpga project to
555 >> completing, An EE can codes on large arrays of DSPs, or a GPU
556 >> (think Khronos group) using Vulcan.
557 >>
558 >>> I would still consider the cluster to be a single "machine".
559 >>
560 >> Thats the goal.
561 >
562 > That, in my opinion, that goal has already been achieved. Unless you want ALL
563 > machines to be part of the same cluster and all machines being able to push
564 > work to the entire cluster...
565 > In that case, good luck in achieving this as you then also need to handle
566 > "randomly dissapearing nodes"
567
568 I think Brexit and Trump will replace globalism with localism and
569 tariffs. Goverments will fight over the spoils of tariffs to finance
570 their glutony, and locals will figure out how to build and operate
571 everything, locally. So you are correct. I actually am promoting hybrids
572 clusters, so the commoners can ;'suck the brain-marrow' out of
573 walstreet, politicans and the globalists. Once groups of locals learn to
574 be self sufficient, think of them and digital omish, the only function
575 governemnts and globallist provide is national security. Folks that like
576 work can join up and kills folks from other like minded collectives.
577 Most will be extraordinarily happy to provide 100% of what they need,
578 locally. There will be some exchange of material and those less
579 innovative will lag a bit, but that is what globalist should concentrate
580 on:: how to teach those less fortunate how to become self sufficient,
581 locally.
584 > And 90+% of developers still don't understand how to properly code for multi-
585 > threading. Just look at how most applications work on your desktop. They all
586 > tend to max out a single core and the other x-1 cores tend to idle...
587
588 Wonder why Bill Gates (in his tax-dogging world charities) is not
589 teaching this stuff? Rupert Murdock? Rich Arabs? Chineese?
590
591 The elites of the world are 'selfish bastards' and use the good work
592 that come from their ranks to further screw up localism (self
593 sufficiency on a local basis). Sooner or later these globalist will have
594 to answer to the masses of local citizens, wherever they are hiding. We
595 have seen the purging of the Republican party. The Democratic Elites are
596 currently undergoing a purging. After Brexit, it
597 will rapidly expand in Europe. Saudis are running scared. Pandemic
598 of locals that want to be self sufficient. Folks are tire of listing to
599 some (asshole) expert that does not live down the street from them.
600 Globalism flies in the face of common-sense, and computational
601 competence is not except. There is latency and much deceptions in the
602 work of computations, but that too will fall (eventually).
605 >> Granted many old decreped codes had to be
606 >> redesigned and coded anew with threads and other modern constructs to
607 >> take advantage of newer processing platforms.
608 >
609 > Intel came with Hyperthreading back in 2005 (or even before). We are now in
610 > 2016 and the majority of code is still single-threaded.
611 > The problem is, the algorithms that are being used need to be converted to
612 > parallel methods.
613 >
614 >> Sure the same is true with
615 >> distributed, but it's far closer than ever. The largest problem with
616 >> cluster, is Vendors with agendas, are making things more complicated
617 >> than necessary and completely ignoring many fundamental issues, like
618 >> kernel stripping and optimizations under the bloated OS they are using.
619 >
620 > I still want a graphical desktop with full multi media support. I still want
621 > to easily plugin a USB device or SD-card and use it immediately,.....
622 > That requirement is incompatible with stripping the OS.
623
624 Agreed. And I want to build the hardware on my own 3D printer. I am
625 flexible to try out many offerings when 3D printing looses those patents
626 on using metals and semiconductor materials......
627 This too will come, hopefully sooner than later and without the shedding
628 of blood....
631 >>>> I do
632 >>>> not have the old articles handy but, I'm sure that many/most of those
633 >>>> types of inherent processes can be formulated in the algebraic domain,
634 >>>> normalized and used to solve decisions often where other forms of
635 >>>> advanced logic failed (not that I'm taking a cheap shot at modern
636 >>>> programming languages) (wink wink nudge nudge); or at least that's how
637 >>>> we did it.... as young whipper_snappers bask in the day...
638 >>>
639 >>> If you know what you are doing, the language is just a tool. Sometimes a
640 >>> hammer is sufficient, other times one might need to use a screwdriver.
641 >>>
642 >>>> --an_old_farts_logic
643 >>>
644 >>> Thinking back on how long I've been playing with computers, I wonder how
645 >>> long it will be until I am in the "old fart" category?
646 >>
647 >> Stay young! I run full court hoops all the time with young college
648 >> punks; it's one of my greatest joys in life, run with the young
649 >> stallions, hacking, pushing, shoving, slicing and taunting other
650 >> athletes. Old farts clubs is not something to be proud of, I just like
651 >> to share too much......
652 >
653 > Hehe.... One is only as old as he/she feels.
654 >
655 > --
656 > Joost
659 Young kids often show amazing wisdom. The educational processes beat
660 this out of kids. Isolation and localism (aka home schooling) does allow
661 kids to explode on both technical competence and creativity.
662 But this flies in the face of the goals of globalism. When I was young,
663 there was a kid that was brilliant and 100% home schooled by mostly
664 uneducated parents. They lived in the bush of Alaska, hundreds of miles
665 from anyone. Brilliance and innovation are the providence of the youth;
666 just look at all of those young, brilliant minds from post-mid-evil
667 Europe. Mass education just beat those traits right out of all children.
668 Communications and localism will yeild many, many brilliant folks and
669 that is the greatest fear of the globalist, who want to remain in power
670 and have dominion over the masses. It's the classic struggle. The path
671 to a better future is espoused in parallel and distributed and local
672 decision/control, from politics to hardware to software.
673
674 hth,
675 James