From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up: Video mode and booting with KVM switch
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 19:56:33
1 Thanks for the ideas. "video=VGA-1:1920x1080@60" (as indicated by
2 xrandr) didn't work well. The text console showed 2 copies of the
3 screen side-by each. Imagine working with the "screen" or "tmux"
4 program, or the vim ":vsplit" command. And it was offset 3/4 inch down
5 and to the right. X Window showed only one image, but the down and
6 right shift was still there. I couldn't see the autoraising menubar at
7 the bottom of the screen in ICEWM, so it was unusable.
8
9 "video=VGA-1:1920x1080@60m", where the "m" is to allow some margin in
10 the calculations, got rid of the double image in text console, but the
11 down and right shift was still there in both the text console, and X.
12
13 I tried sticking "xrandr -s 1920x1080" in my .xinitrc. It "works",
14 but the fonts are noticably "fatter" after a disconnected boot versus
15 a connected boot.
16
17 I ran "cp /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1/edid my_edid.bin" and I'll
18 try loading it in the kernel later today.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
22 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications