From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calculating dependencies...: Any way to make it faster?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 05:43:45
1 On 24/01/15 13:23, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 01/23/2015 08:20 PM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> for my embedded systems I use gentoo. Their "harddisk"s are simple
6 >> microSDcards.
7 >>
8 >> When updateing or emerging especially the "Calculation
9 >> dependencies..." is a step which needs a lot of patience of the
10 >> user (me ;).
11 >
12 > I have a QX9650 and it can be a few minutes on mine, especially on a
13 > world update. My slower CPUs (Celerons) can take more than five minutes,
14 > I don't even want to think about embedded.
15 >
16 >> Is there any way to make it faster or (in other words): Are there
17 >> different ways to "Calculating dependencies..." and have only chossen
18 >> the slowest one...?
19 >
20 > I'd be interested as well to know as well. It used to be it did a simple
21 > dependency check and installed packages - then revdep-rebuild could
22 > check for packages that need rebuilds.
23 >
24 > It's not really an issue if you only run emerge once, but if you have to
25 > do it several times in one session it gets old really quick. It reminds
26 > me of waiting for Windows XP checking for updates. Just give it a half
27 > hour, it'll figure it out. :-(
28 >
29 > Dan
32 distcc can make a big difference on slow machines where you have 3 or so
33 hosts to throw jobs at.
34
35 ccache in particular speeds up multiple passes at an emerge.
36
37 Downside is a few packages cant use ccache and exhibit seemingly random
38 failures to compile but if known they can be excluded using a portage
39 setting.
40
41 BillK