From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Normal disk speed?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:24:12
1 On Friday 01 October 2010, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 01.10.2010 03:12, schrieb Adam Carter:
3 > > Your harddisk seeks, everything is slow.
4 > >
5 > > So does that then mean that my options are;
6 > > 1. Defragment, so there is less seeking
7 > > 2. Get an SSD
8 > >
9 > > Since 2 is too expensive for a decent size drive, is there anything i
10 > > can do about 1 without a backup and restore operation? Or will the
11 > > fragmentation be very small on reiser3 anyway (i mount with notail) so I
12 > > should just accept things as they are.
13 >
14 > To prevent fragmentation, try to always keep a decent amount of free
15 > space on each partition. That way, the FS driver can allocate space for
16 > new files without too much fragmentation (a fragment every 2 MB or so
17 > doesn't really hurt performance).
18
19 you obviously never used a tape drive...