From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 16:50:54
1 On Saturday 03 Sep 2016 16:39:03 Stroller wrote:
2 > > On 2 Sep 2016, at 23:03, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > … a potentially more effective defrag method irrespective of fs
5 > > (we're talking about spinning disks where this issue applies) i
6 >
7 > I understood that fragmentation can also occur on flash-based disks.
8 >
9 > Although the effect of it is not so noticeable, I understood that it still
10 > has one.
11 >
12 > Stroller.
13
14 Yes, flash drives (unlike spinning drivers) are completely digital. In
15 addition, wear levelling algorithms invariably kick in and bits and bytes are
16 sprayed all over the pages/modules of the memory chips. So you could say they
17 are fragmented by design.
20 Regards,
21 Mick