From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 04:10:49
1 Denis wrote:
2 > SOLVED.
3 >
4 > I was able to configure and compile the kernel and configure a working
5 > Gentoo system that gives me no errors at boot :-)
6 >
7 > I am not sure what went wrong the first time. I selected the same
8 > basic driver support within the kernel as the first time, except I
9 > didn't bother with some of the other bells and whistles I first had in
10 > there. Perhaps now that I have a working system, I can play with the
11 > kernel and see what works, since I can always fall back onto a working
12 > kernel and still have a running system.
13 >
14 > I'm glad this is solved because I was getting really annoyed at myself
15 > here...
16 >
17 > Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
18 > -Denis
19
20 I have ran into things like this before, I usually run make mrproper
21 from within the kernel directory to make sure there is no old cruft
22 laying around in there. After that, on a kernel upgrade of course, I
23 copy the .config over and run make oldconfig. Of course, on a new
24 install, start from scratch. :/
25
26 There are a LOT of people that know more about this than me but this has
27 worked for me so far. Someone may have even better ideas to add.
28
29 Dale
30
34 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
35
36 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list