From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia drivers
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:30:10
1 James wrote:
2 > hello,
3 >
4 > I have a couple of old 32bit amd athlon XP systems:
5 >
6 > They have very old, no longer supported nvidia cards:
7 >
8 > NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
9 >
10 > All ebuilds that could satisfy
11 > "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers" have been masked"
12 >
13 > These systems are used to run jffnms, postgresql rrdtool
14 > to show network devices and their status. Nothing fancy
15 > just 2D and kde.
16 >
17 > These cards were supported by the Nvidia legacy driver
18 > but now that's gone there is no support for these cards.
19 > So I guess I'd like to replace them with something that
20 > is open source on the driver, so as to keep support a long time.
21 > (perhaps an old ATI card?)
22 > I think they are AGP 4 motherboards.
23 >
24 > I intend to use them for a long time as to drive a graphical
25 > display for network monitoring and management.
26 >
27 > Any low cost suggestions are most welcome, particularly something
28 > that is open source on the driver, so I can keep them useful
29 > for a long time.
32 > James
36 I have this card as reported by lspci:
37
38 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
39 5200] (rev a1)
40
41 This is the driver that I use:
42
43 [I--] [ -] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169.09-r1 (0)
44
45 This is the setting in my make.conf file for this card:
46
47 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
48
49 It all seems to work fine here so may be worth a try to see if it will
50 work for you as well. I use KDE here and the video works very well for
51 a older card.
52
53 Hope that helps.
54