From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:26:05
1 On Friday 11 Nov 2011 22:02:40 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-11-11, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > ><SNIP>
5 > >
6 > >> Now to teach him how to update the thing.
7 > >
8 > > I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend running
9 > > Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could.
10 >
11 > I use Ubuntu occasionally, and it's always a teeth-gritting,
12 > hair-pulling experience. For me, it's the most non-intuitive distro
13 > I've ever used. And it is the "Ubuntu" part I can't grok, not the
14 > Debian part -- I never had any problems with Debian. I ran Debian on
15 > a server at home for years, and even created a Debian subset distro
16 > for a product many years back.
17 >
18 > > It wasn't that it was bad or didn't work, but that the management of
19 > > it seemed so different from any distro I'd run before that I didn't
20 > > want to deal with learning it.
21 >
22 > Exactly. Anytime you want to do something administrative, it's always
23 > an ordeal unless you can just skip the "Ubuntu" stuff and do the
24 > equivalent of editing /etc/network/interfaces (I never could get the
25 > GUI network config thingy to work).
26 >
27 > > Let's see how that does for you.
28 > >
29 > > Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
30 > > running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
31 > >
32 > > 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
33 >
34 > There isn't one by default. The first thing you do after an Ubuntu
35 > install is always set the root password:
36 >
37 > $ sudo bash
38 > # passwd
39 >
40 > The next thing you do is configure it to boot into text mode with all
41 > the kernel messages visible.
42 >
43 > Then you've got something that's almost tolerable.
44
45 How do you that?!!!
46
47 Pressing F2 or Esc on the Ubuntu GRUB2 splash just crashes the system. I
48 think I also tried editting the default GRUB2 file, but couldn't get it to be
49 more verbose. Is there some trick I'm missing?
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick