From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:42:11
1 >> A while back I was having networking issues. I eventually tried
2 >> drastically lowering the MTU of all the systems onsite and the issues
3 >> disappeared. I always thought the issue was due to the MTU on our
4 >> modem/router. Today I read that AT&T DSL requires a 1492 MTU so I
5 >> increased the MTU of our systems up to 1492 and haven't had any
6 >> issues. Do certain ISPs require you to change the MTU of your entire
7 >> network, or is this likely due to our AT&T modem/router itself?
8 >
9 > Are you using tunnels or a firewall that blocks related "icmp
10 > fragmentation needed" packets?
13 I have this in shorewall/rules:
14
15 ACCEPT all all icmp - - - 10/sec:20
16
17 Which I believe accepts all icmp packets but throttles them to 10/sec
18 to avoid being flooded. Is that OK?
21 > Please also try to find out if you're experiencing packet loss. If
22 > fragmented packets cannot be reassembled due to some packets lost, you
23 > will probably find connections freezing or going really slow.
26 I will watch the output of ifconfig today to see if there are any RX
27 or TX errors.
28
29 - Grant