From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [WAY OT] Parenthese, was Re: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:03:48
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:07 on Friday 20 August 2010, Mike Edenfield
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 8/20/2010 11:40 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > As to the thingies, I enjoyed discovering that to many people a
6 > > parenthesis is not a glyph or punctuation mark, but instead the contents
7 > > of the language set aside in one way or another. I had always regarded
8 > > parentheses as the round glyphs (), but this turns out to be normative
9 > > primarily in mathematics, computer programming languages and similar
10 > > fields. But I find several competing meanings and sources using
11 > > http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=parenthesis&ia=luna
12 > > <http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=parenthesis&ia=luna>
13 >
14 > In American English usage, the three forms of puncutation mark have
15 > distinct names. Contrary to previous assertions, these names are not
16 > informal; authoritative American English dictionaries like M-W define
17 > "bracket", "brace", and "parenthesis" separately as punctuation marks.
18 >
19 > In British English they're all called "brackets", e.g. square, curly, or
20 > round.
21
22 Yuck. Too many times I've had someone dictate text and this happens:
23
25 Me: Which bracket?
26 Them: huh?
27 Me: You said open bracket. What kind of bracket?
28 Them: Curly?
29 Me: You mean brace.
30 Them: Yes, that's the one! Is that what it's called then?
31
32 Way too many words. Just give the bloody thing a name.
33
34 Like Eskimo's with 20+ words for different kinds of snow.
35 Say "snow" to any Eskimo, see what happens :-)
41 > The Romance languages are somewhat varied, but they mostly use the Greek
42 > word parenthesis to derive their term for () marks; in some cases, that
43 > word is use for *all* brackets; in other cases [] and {} have separate
44 > terms:
45 >
46 > () = parenthèses (Fr.), paréntesis (Sp.), parentesi tonde (It.)
47 > [] = crochets (Fr.), corchetes (Sp.), parentesi quadre (It.)
48 > {} = accolades (Fr.), corchetes (Sp.), parentesi graffe (It.)
49 >
50 > For what it's worth, Unicode defines U+0028 AND U+0029 as "LEFT
51 > PARENTHESIS" and "RIGHT PARENTHESIS" (also "OPENING PARENTHESIS" and
52 > "CLOSING PARENTHESIS").
53 >
54 > --Mike
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com