From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get raid
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 02:29:19
1 On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 14:39 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, 21:57:18 schrieb Jeff Cranmer:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I have recently built a new system, running Gentoo on a Sabertooth 990FX
6 > > motherboard. The board has a raid controller on which I'm running a
7 > > 120GB solid state drive for the OS (Raid 0) and a set of three 1.5TB
8 > > drives which were previously running as a RAID5 array.
9 >
10 > no, it does not have a raid controller. It is bios raid. AKA fake raid. You
11 > will have less trouble if you stop using it.
12 >
13 > google for mdadm. There are some very nice howto's.
16 Not sure I'd agree with you about the howtos being nice. They mostly
17 deal with trying to boot from a RAID array (don't want that, as I have
18 my OS on a non-RAID 120GB SSD). They're also contradictory, with some
19 saying I need dmraid, and some saying not. Most seem to make no more
20 than a passing nod towards genkernel.
21
22 So, given that from the links that I've found, here's my starting set of
23 questions.
24
25 In /etc/genkernel.conf, which options do I need to enable.
26 One guide suggested the following settings
27 DMRAID="no"
28 MDADM="yes"
29 MDADM_CONFIG="/etc/mdadm.conf"
30 MDADM_VER="3.1.4"
31
32 If this is correct, does it matter that my mdadm version which I emerged
33 is 3.1.5? The tarball in /var/cache/genkernel/src is
34 mdadm-3.1.4.tar.bz2
35 Should I copy mdadm-3.1.5.tar.bz2 from /etc/portage/distfiles into there
36 and rebuild genkernel.
37
38 Do I need the dodmraid option compiled into genkernel, or is that only
39 for fakeraid, or situations where I need to boot from a raid partition?
40
41 Do I need the dodmraid option set true in the grub.conf file, or is
42 'domdadm' more appropriate?
43
44 Jeff