From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiboot USB - GRUB2 loop device
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 06:07:53
1 On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:14:07 -0500
2 Alex Luehm <alex@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello all
5 >
6 > I've recently taken it upon myself to create a multiboot USB with isos
7 > that I tend to frequently use. So far I've been successful in adding
8 > Clonezilla and the Archlinux live ISOs. I've attempted to add the Gentoo
9 > install ISO in a similar manner (helped with the grub config within the
10 > iso itself but can't seem to get GRUB to recogonize the image. My
11 > DuckDuckGo-foo has returned useless results (a near hit, yet useless
12 > inquiry being found here:
13 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6527390.html).
14 >
15 > My current GRUB menu entry is as follows:
16 >
17 > menuentry '[loopback]gentoo amd64' {
18 > set isofile='/isos/gentoo.iso'
19 > echo "isofile set"
20 > loopback loop $isofile
21 > echo "loopback set"
22 > linux (loop)/isolinux/gentoo64 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
23 > dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot cdboot
24 > initrd=gentoo64.xz
25 > initrd (loop)/isolinux/gentoo64.xz
26 > }
27 >
28 > When booting, I receive the following message:
29 >
30 > isofile set
31 > loopback set
32 > error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'loop'
33 > error: you need to load the kernel first
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance!
38 Hello,
39 I have the following entry to load gentoo from a multiboot USB stick:
40 menuentry 'gentoo livecd' --id 'gentoolive' {
41 if test x$grub_platform = xpc; then linux_suffix=16; else linux_suffix= ; fi
42 set root='hd1,gpt3'
43 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6720-75AD
44 linux$linux_suffix /gentoo/isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc dokeymap looptype=squashfs subdir=gentoo loop=/gentoo/image.squashfs cdroot initrd=gentoo.igz vga=791 passwd=myCoolSshPassword dosshd
45 initrd$linux_suffix /gentoo/isolinux/gentoo.igz
46 }
47
48 I think you need the `subdir` magic here. It's not the same setup as you have. I just
49 unpacked each iso into a subdirectory (and as you can guess, gentoo is unpacked in the
50 gentoo subdirectory). I do not know, but maybe you can give it a shot with
51 `subdir=(loop)`. Also the files are called on my bootstick gentoo and not gentoo64, but
52 my version is also already 1 year old ;)
53
54 Cheers
55 Andreas