From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Problems...
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 07:36:53
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Benjamen R. Meyer <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've run into this problem a number of times on my Linux systems. In a
5 > couple of cases what where essentially scratched disks played on both
6 > my HT DVD player as well as Windows but would not play in xine.
7 >
8 > I talked with the xine guys and they said (at the time maybe 3-4 years
9 > ago) that their error recovery wasn't nearly as good as they wanted it
10 > to be. At that time xine was the best around.
11 >
12 > A READ10 issue is potentially a firmware issue in the drive since it's
13 > the drive's processor formatting up data to send over the cable. My
14 > suggestion would be try it on every system you have there. Some drives
15 > read around problems better or do better correction at the drive.
16 > Maybe you can find a firmware upgrade for the specific drive. Not
17 > specific to these READ10 errors but some folks using 1394 peripherals
18 > have improved performance in this sort of situation.
19
20 It would be nice to have something similar to cdparanoia for (video) dvds...
21
22 Best regards
23
24 Peter K