From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to alter ./configure flags from emerge
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:43:51
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
4 [...]
5
6 > There was a note at the end of the emerge:
7 >
8 > * You might want to run:
9 > * "emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.16-r2"
10 > * if this is a new install.
11 >
12 > did you do this?
13
14 (First I've backed of 5.16 since I couldn't even start it from:
15 /etc/init.d/mysql
16 Unemerged and reemerged 5.15)
17
18 Gack, no, I missed that completely.
19
20 So backing up here I ran that and it errors out because apparently a
21 db was actually built in all my tinkering so rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
22
23 (in the current case 5.0.15
24 And rerun emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15
25
26 It now works and queries for a password which I gave it. There were a
27 large pile of warning about being `Unable to load' /usr/share/zoninfo
28 stuff <Snipped in the output below>
29
30 I don't understand the warnings about supplying a password since the
31 first step is to do that.... trying the suggested commands:
32 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
33 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h reader password 'new-password'
34 Fail like this
35 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'hpreader'
36 error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
37
38 Whats this all about?
39
40 OUTPUT of emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15
41
42 See the manual for more instructions.
43 emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15
44 ========================================
45 Configuring pkg...
46
47 * MySQL DATADIR is /var/lib/mysql
48 * Creating the mysql database and setting proper
49 * permissions on it...
50 * Insert a password for the mysql 'root' user
51 * Avoid ["'\_%] characters in the password
52 >
53 * Check the password
54 >
55 Installing all prepared tables
56 Fill help tables
57
58 To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
59 to the right place for your system
60
61 PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
62 To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
63 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
64 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h reader password 'new-password'
65 See the manual for more instructions.
66
67 You can start the MySQL daemon with:
68 cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &
69
70 You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory:
71 cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests
72
73 Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!
74
75 The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
76 http://www.mysql.com
77 Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com
78
79 [...] snipped warnings leaving only one sample:
80 Warning: Unable to load '//usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Riyadh87' as time zone. Skipping it.
81 [...]
83 * done
92 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list