From: Fox <halfsocialfox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: EAPI 4-python
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 15:49:40
1 On 02/24/2014 04:32 PM, eroen wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:30:29 +0100, Fox <halfsocialfox@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >> I am trying to install an ebuild that used EAPI=4-python getting the
5 >> error:
6 >>
7 >> API of python.eclass in EAPI="4-python" not established
8 >>
9 >> I googled the problem but there is not much to read (or at least I
10 >> could not find much) and what is there is old. So I wonder what is
11 >> the problem with this and if there is a way to use it as there are
12 >> many ebiulds (maybe only in overlays, I am not sure) that use it.
13 >>
14 >> Quim
17 > Afaik the *-python eapis are almost exclusively used by Arfrever's
18 > Progress overlay (and, by extension, funtoo). The error message you
19 > show seems to be from python.eclass in the main gentoo tree, which does
20 > not take un-official eapis into account. The code in question for
21 > reference (lines 30-32):
22 >
23 > if ! has "${EAPI:-0}" 0 1 2 3 4 5; then
24 > die "API of python.eclass in EAPI=\"${EAPI}\" not established"
25 > fi
26 >
27 > You might be able to use the ebuild stand-alone by also copying the
28 > relevant eclasses from whereever you got the ebuild into your local
29 > overlay (where I presume you put the ebuild?). However, from previous
30 > experience with the Progress overlay, you might want to use the entire
31 > overlay though layman in stead. Due to unfortunately incompatible
32 > python-implementation dependencies with gentoo proper it's rather an
33 > all-or-nothing deal.
34 >
35 The ebuild is from the ezod overlay. I am trying to use the ROS related
36 packages like wstool, rosdep. etc. They all seem to use this EAPI. I
37 thought that using this overlay would be easier than using pip but
38 apparently it's not is it?