From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where to place command to be executed on X.org start
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:35:59
1 On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 13:23 +0300, Alex V. Fansky wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I want command "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap" to be executed on my X.org start
4 > and even
5 > restart. Where is the best place to put it?
6
7 Kinda depends on how you start your X session. I'll talk about the ones
8 I know about:
9
10 * If you use "startx" or "xinit" to start your X session, then you
11 probably already have an ~/.xinitrc. You can put it there.
12 * If you use a xdm or similar then you can put it in ~/.xsession.
13 By default, though GDM, for example, does not read your
14 ~/.xsession, however...
15 * GNOME automatically reads your ~/.Xmodmap on startup unless told
16 otherwise. You could also put it in "Control
17 Center/Sessions/Startup Programs"
18 * I would *not* put it in ~/.bashrc for remote X stuff. the reason
19 is that your local machine may, e.g. have a different keyboard
20 layout than the remote machine and when you ssh into the remote
21 machine it will use the local .Xmodmap. This is also a problem
22 with GNOME's automatic reading of .Xmodmap too, unfortunately.
23 If you are using xdm but not GNOME you can probably get around
24 it by checking to see if the DISPLAY variable points to a remote
25 (or ssh-forwarded) display.
26
27 I don't know KDE or other DE's/DM's so cannot say.
30 Albert W. Hopkins
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list