From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-Server-1.8 and Intel i915 modesetting stability
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:10:09
1 > 1. On boot up, the screen goes completely black until the xserver is
2 > started.
3
4 KMS provides its own framebuffer console driver -- disable any other
5 framebuffer drivers such as (u)vesafb and enable
6 FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY under drivers/graphics
7 support/console display driver support. Also make sure you remove any
8 vga= or video= options from the kernel commandline in your bootloader
9 configuration.
10
11 You will get a _fast_ console with native resolution (no more horribly
12 stretched fonts!)
13
14 BTW, everything KMS-related should be compiled in rather than built as a
15 module.
16
17 > 2. Once the XServer runs, it is extremely unstable. It gets killed and
18 > restarted by XDM every few minutes. dmesg and Xorg.0.log haven't shown
19 > anything suspicious.
20
21 I've been using 1.8 since it made it into the tree and I must say I did
22 not encounter any problems.
23
24 Did you recompile every installed packege in x11-drivers after the
25 switch to 1.8?
26
27 Here I'm running ~amd64 with tuxonice-sources and xorg-server-1.8.1.902
28 on an Acer 2930 (GMA 4500MHD, 1200x800). I use KDE but I don't think
29 that is relevant.
30
31 andrea