From: Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc problems after dep -d
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:01:34
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 > [SNIP]
4 >
5 > Ugh..! You've got this completely wrong. As of >=portage-2.1.1
6 > `emerge --depclean` is quite safe (yet you still need to use --ask
7 > or --pretend as with any other emerge operation!) and it has always taken the
8 > use flags into account. I've never said anything about the reliability of
9 > `dep -d` (as I've never tried it and don't plan to try it either) and I think
10 > your experience goes to show that it is far from as safe as
11 > `emerge --depclean`. I'm pretty sure that `emerge --depclean` would never
12 > remove gcc...
13 >
14 > `equery depends` is what I've said doesn't take your use flags into account
15 > (and it doesn't). This means that if `equery depends` says foo doesn't need
16 > bar then foo doesn't need bar. But if it says foo needs bar then there is the
17 > possibility that due to the state of some use flag foo doesn't need bar on
18 > your system... That is entirely unrelated to the reliability of
19 > `emerge --depclean`. This only relates to querying for reverse dependencies
20 > with equery.
21 >
22 > And for querying for reverse dependencies `dep -L` is quite reliable. As is
23 > pquery from pkgcore and adjutrix from paludis. That says nothing about the
24 > reliability of `dep -d`, `dep -w` or `dep -s` etc. I don't know if either of
25 > those other options for dep are reliable or not (and quite frankly I don't
26 > care as I don't need them). IMO `emerge --depclean` is doing and excellent
27 > job!
30 Thank you very much for your clear explanation! I learned a lot
31 from it. And my system is compiling again :-)
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list