From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startx with multiple window managers
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:47:54
1 130823 Randy Westlund wrote:
2 > I launch X with startx. I also use multiple window managers.
3 > My procedure for starting multiple managers is this:
4 > - log in - startx - login on tty2 - edit .xinitrc - startx -- :1
5 > .xinitrc goes from:
6 > exec xmonad
7 > #exec startxfce4
8 > to:
9 > #exec xmonad
10 > exec startxfce4
11 > Then I can switch between tty7 and tty8 at will.
12 > Can I simplify this process?
13
14 When I used 2 WMs, I had 2 versions of .xinitrc ,
15 which I called eg '.xinitrc-a' '.xinitrc-b'.
16 All I had to do was enter 'cp .xinitrc-a .xinitrc' & then 'startx'.
17 That's slightly simpler than what you've been doing.
18
19 However, 'startx' is a shell script,
20 so you sb able to edit it to contain a query as to which WM to use ;
21 you could alias the choices to single letters, then enter what you need.
22
23 Let us all know if that works (smile).
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca