From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [O.T] Kernel and general Linux Benchmarking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:48:41
1 On 14 December 2006 15:03, Bruno Santos wrote:
2 > Hello all.
3 >
4 > I need to perform some benchmarks with the Kernel and with the distro
5 > itself but i cannot find any satisfactory app for that.
6
7 ... and you probably won't. The question is: How do you benchmark a whole
8 system?
9
10 If you have some some number crunching application, it is relatively easy to
11 benchmark that particular app. Feed it a certain data set and measure the CPU
12 time it takes to finish. Repeat several times and calculate an average for
13 trashed and non-trashed memory. Do the same on different systems and compare.
14
15 Same for anything that simply runs, once started, until it has finished - like
16 a compiler run on a set of sources.
17
18 A whole system, even if it is commandline-only, is a different kettle of fish.
19 What do you measure? Start-up times of applications under different
20 circumstances (low, medium, high system load), that's possible again. Once
21 the (interactive) application - say vim - runs, it will wait for your next
22 keystroke at full CPU speed anyway. It becomes even more difficult with a GUI
23 since they are all driven by user events. And yet, you are still benchmarking
24 applications. The question remains: What *is* the performance of a whole
25 system?
26
27 As for the kernel, you can measure certain of its aspects. How fast is a fork?
28 How fast are the various methods of IPC (sockets, pipes, shared memory,...)?
29 How good is IO (system bus, harddisk, network,...) throughput? How fast are
30 certain system calls? And so on, and so on. So you can test certain kernel
31 functions. Like with a whole system, what is the performance of a kernel?
32
33 I don't have any good answer for either question, kernel and system. :-(
34
35 Uwe
38 Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
39 http://www.SysEx.com.na
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list