From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5: no desktop
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 16:30:43
1 On 01/07/2017 07:03 AM, Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The first
3 > machine went OK eventually (apart from the week spent resolving
4 > blockers), so I thought the second would be much smoother. And so it
5 > was, until I logged on. I got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as
6 > something started and then a black screen relieved only by a cursor and
7 > a couple of apps in the autostart list. kwin-x11, plasmashell, ksmserver
8 > are all running, it seems like something got omitted in the install.
9 > Does anyone know which binary starts the window manager and taskbar,
10 > etc? I did the usual things like create a new user, rename .kde4, to no
11 > avail.
15 > I have already posted on the Gentoo forums but didn't get much help. You
16 > can see the post with the sddm log here:
17 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057060.html. Hopefully the vast
18 > intellects of the Gentoo list will have an idea! My current workaround
19 > is to install lxqt as the desktop; it works pretty well, if a bit rough
20 > around the edges.
24 What's the profile set to? `eselect profile list`?
25
26 If it's incorrect it is very possible something may not be installed
27 correctly.
28
29 I also remember when searching for upgrade info a long time ago that
30 missing fonts can cause kde to not start with a black screen.
31
32 Dan