From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 01:56:21
1 On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul, you will be relieved to know that I braved up and installed the
3 > 1205sa card on a windows machine... updated driver which may have been
4 > a waste of time and flashed both Base BIOS and SATA_raid BIOS.
5 >
6 > Apparently this card has a BIOS that is in 2 parts or maybe each on it
7 > own chip. Their are 2 on the card.
8 >
9 > I didn't hold out much hope but it worked just fine with that done.
10 >
11 > No need for jumpers ... it just works.
12 >
13 > Some might think its a waste to go with the 1.5GB of `sata I' but the
14 > card is PCI anyway. I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck that is but
15 > I suspect that would get in the way before 1.5gb does.
16 >
17 > This server is on a home lan so not going to get an industrial
18 > workout anyway.
19 >
20 > I'm a happy camper even though I jumped the gun and ordered a Sil3114
21 > off ebay, I'm pretty sure I'll use it sooner or later.
22 >
23 > You have been very patient and helpful ... I really do appreciate
24 > that. Thanks.
25
26 Great news! As far as 1.5 vs 3.0, the drive cannot physically get
27 anywhere near that fast so it probably won't make any difference. I
28 had a 320GB drive that came with the 1.5 mode jumpered from the
29 factory, and didn't even realize it for about six months. Once I
30 noticed and changed it, there was absolutely no speed difference. I
31 just got the satisfaction of seeing "3.0" in dmesg instead of "1.5".
32 :)